Monday, November 12, 2012

Baklava Recipe

Baklava Recipe

3 cups nuts (I used a mix of walnuts and almonds)
1 cup sugar
1 grated peel of orange
1 tsp. of cinnamon
1 stick of melted butter
1 roll of filo dough
whole cloves
1 1/2 cups honey

Finely grind the nuts then mix in the next 3 ingredients (sugar, orange and cinnamon)-set aside in a bowl.  Melt the butter and spread some on the bottom of the pan, add 2-3 sheets of filo, butter the filo then sprinkle the nut mixture on top, repeat- filo, butter, nuts, until you come to the last 2-3 sheets of dough.  I had 4 layers of dough/nuts, on the top add your filo brush the rest of the butter and then cut into squares before baking, press a whole clove into each square.
Cook at 325 F, for 50 minutes.
In a saucepan put the honey and 1/2 cup of water, bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 15 minutes.
When the baklava comes out of the oven pour the honey over the top.  I like to swirl it around the pan until you can't see the honey moving anymore, then you know it got all soaked up.
Eat and Enjoy.

Some tips for success:
Use real cow butter and real Honey, makes all the difference.
Second layer of nuts and dough.
All cooked and half eaten.

3 comments:

  1. Oops forgot the s. I might try this I hope you didn't make any errors on the recipe like Real Simple did on their sugar cookies

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm...I can taste it now....Thansk for shareing the recipe Mara
    conn_and_vans_mom(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so please leave me one.