Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Vikos Gorge

The deepest Gorge in the World!
Right here in Greece, just a little northwest of Ioannina, a little less than 2 hours away from Kalampaka and 7 hour drive from Athens.
Vikos Gorge, Greece
 At one point the gorge measures 900 m (2,953 ft) deep and 1,100 m (3,609 ft) wide from rim to rim.
Someday I'm going to hike down to the bottom to find some dinosaur bones, the lower layers are from the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.  We went when the kids were smaller, I wouldn't suggest that, the majority of the time my heart was in my throat fearing that my son would fall over the edge somewhere.
Right on the edge of the lookout point.
You can stay in one of the many Zagorian villages with there gorgeous stone houses or make it a day trip from Ioannina (with the beautiful lake) or Kalampaka (and Meteora).  On the drive up you will need good directions because the signage is not very good (hopefully they have corrected this), this is one sign we found on the road in Monodendri, a very nice stone village.
That's right just before you get to the gorge/canyon you drive through a stone forest, my pictures don't do it justice it is really a must see for yourself type of place and I would suggest in the springtime with all of the flowers.
fascinating stones stacked up, the stone forest.
sitting in the flowers surrounded by the standing stones.
The map showing the villages and gorge.
This is a must visit again place maybe when the kids get older or with out them because it is a very very deep gorge.

2 comments:

  1. Mara, Are there inexpensive places to stay near Vikos gourge.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best bet is to go there and find a place on the spot, otherwise the prices are expensive if booking on line, the cheapest I saw was 65euro's a night. Good luck and have fun.

      Delete

I love reading your comments, so please leave me one.