Monday, February 4, 2013

Octapodi Kokkinisto (Red Sauce Octopus) Recipe

Did you know that the name Octopus is from the Greek language.  via New Latin from Greek oktōpous having eight feet χταπόδι.

So I want to share with you an Octopus recipe, it's pretty good, if I say so myself.  When I first moved here I thought it was so funny seeing the frozen octopus's in the freezer section, they are just there all big and well whole, it looks like you could just throw it back into the water and it would start swimming.  Don't worry you don't have to use that kind for this recipe, instead find the ones that are already cleaned and cut up into pieces.


 Here you go:

Octapodi Kokkinisto:  1 person

1 cup chopped octopus
1 red onion- sliced fine
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup of tomato sauce (use you favorite pasta sauce)
salt and pepper to taste
optional 1tsp. of Rio Grande Chile (my mom makes it and sells it in New Mexico)

Place the octopus pieces into the correct saucepan. Cover, and cook over medium-high heat until the octopus has released its juices, 10 minutes. Uncover, and continue simmering until the liquid has reduced to 3 to 4 tablespoons,  If the liquid dissipates then add some warm water, when using smaller portions of octopus the water evaporates quicker if you are doing 6 or more cups you probably won't have to add any water.  You want the octopus to cook in the water for at least 20 to 25 minutes this allows it to become tender.

Once the juice has reduced add the onion, olive oil and lemon juice, cook until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and chile seasoning (optional) Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 25 minutes. Cook uncovered for the last 10 minutes if the sauce is too thin.

This recipe is for one person if you want it for 2, then double it, 3, triple it and so on.  And yes it is a whole onion per portion.
Let me know if you try it I would love to hear if you like it.

1 comment:

  1. mmm that looks good! there is a restaurant here that we frequent, called Koutouki Taverna and it has Greek food--so so good (I'm not 100% sure it is authentic, but my SIL said it tastes better than the Greek food she had in Greece when she went there) But, Octopus is on the menu there and we tried it a while back--very good! Thanks for the recipe--I'm going to have to find some Octopus! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so please leave me one.